Latest update: 18-July-2018
Welcome to the AANHS website!
Please look through our pages …
Publications For Sale:
Monographs in print and available for purchase.
A wide range of out-of-print articles to download and enjoy at your leisure.
Plenty of interesting summer reading here.
“The Royal Burgh of Ayr”:
Volume 2 of this publication, full of interest, first published in the 1950s.
See our Facebook Page for the latest AANHS news. Click the link on this page
The Society has over 170 members, mainly resident in Ayrshire but there are many members throughout Britain and the world. The membership also includes library and university bodies.
The Society is one of the few which publishes regularly. At least one Monograph is usually issued each year, free to members, and on sale to the general public.
Meetings are held during the winter months in the Town Hall, Sandgate, Ayr. Members of the public are freely welcome to attend these meetings to see if they would like to become a member.
In the summer months, trips are organised to various places of interest.
These are some of our online monographs …
Aims of the Society: to …
- promote interest in archaeology, history, natural history with particular reference to Ayrshire
- encourage the study of these subjects and stimulate research
- promote the conservation of the heritage of Ayrshire
- publish regularly material relevant to the Society’s objectives
- co-operate with appropriate organisations
The Society is affiliated to the following organisations:
- Ayrshire Federation of Historical Societies
- Council for Scottish Archaeology
- British Association for Local History
- Ayr Arts Guild
Accounts: please click this link
History of the Society
The society was founded in 1947 to promote the study of Ayrshire history and natural history.
For the history of the society prior to the founding of the AANHS see AANHS Collections 1947-1949 Second Series Volume 1.
At the instigation of R W Cochran-Patrick of Woodside, a meeting was held in the County Buildings, Ayr on 19th October 1877 to consider the formation of an Archaeological Society for the counties of Ayr and Wigtown. This was the inception of the Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Archaeological Association. The AWAA published descriptions, illustrated with plans or drawings of various prehistoric and mediaeval remains in the counties of Ayr and Wigtown; printed early charters, manuscripts, historical documents, ecclesiastical, municipal and parochial records and other material relating to the history, antiquities, topography and genealogy of the district. The first volume appeared in 1878. In 1885 the title of the society was changed to the Ayrshire and Galloway Archaeological Association to extend its scope to Kirkcudbright. This Association was wound up in 1897 at the 14th general meeting. In all, the Association published 18 volumes, including 2 at R Vans Agnew’s expense on Sir Patrick Waus.